CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tour of Washington Co - I won the TT!!

NOT!!!...
This was the most fun I've had in a while. I haven't done many race reports lately. I think they are covered pretty well. I haven't been inspired. Today was fun.
Here's what happened:
Fast Freddie wakes up at some crazy hour to make sure I'm ready to go for one of my favorite TT courses only 1/2 time (20k). Tires pumped, gears lubed and shifting like butta (PhilBillysm)...I'm off....
I drive 7miles to Boonsboro for a great parking spot near the start. Suffuciently caffienated I start unloading wheels, bike, etc. I notice my front tire is flat. Uh Oh....pump it up again and hear air shooting out of the valve....ok...brought the training wheels...no problem.
Warm up, feeling tired yet hopeful legs will go into auto-pilot after the start. Wondering how many seconds my clincher training wheel is going to cost me but happy to be on one of my favorite bikes.
I hit the start line, idle chit chat and I'm off. I love this course...UP and over the little rise and killin' the down hill...chasing one of the areas fastest ladies. I hit 2.5 mi. and I had that uh oh...not good...glance back and sure enough I have a rear flat...UGH.....
Bang a U turn and head back hoping to find a ride as to not ruin my wheel. No luck....

Here's the fun part. I limped back and rolled through the finishing cones and respectfully told the officials I was a DNF, rear flat. Evidently they didn't believe or hear me and I had finished in just enough time to send lots of GC'ers into a frenzie at the results table.

They scored my time as official. The fun part here were the calls I received congratulating me on my TT win from some of my good friends that didn't know I flatted and the laugh we got we I told them it was a mistake. THEN I got the calls about how extremely funny it was watching how other racers were acting...looking at an almost believable time... and they knew that I had flatted and not won and how wrong the results were.
The bike racing journey is always exciting. Most people that know me well know how amusing this day was given how I really felt about not being able to compete.

It's just a bike race....

2 comments:

Lorena said...

Great update CK! I've been dying to hear from someone about the race, and I'm glad to hear that you were successfully able to add some drama to the scene, although bummed that it was at the expense of you actually winning the TT. You know how to lay down the hurt on a TT so it's too bad that you missed your chance to really show your stuff (great job last week, btw). But always fun to inadvertently add some drama in the process. Hope the rest of the stages went better!

Chickin said...

When someone told me that you averaged almost 28 mph I was not surprised. They were like "C'mon 28 mph! That can't be right." I said they obviously didn't know you. Too bad about the flat. Get 'em next time, right?